Grand Traverse Bay YMCA Announces Opening of Youth and Family Center
The YMCA is a non-profit organization committed to active youth and healthy families; they are excited to expand this commitment with the opening of a Youth and Family Center in Traverse City in early 2018. This center will serve adults, kids and families by providing a large, open space to engage in many types of activities from intramural sports to family play to youth activities and more.
This new area will include:
- 2 multipurpose courts where kids, families and seniors can play various games like basketball, futsal and other court sports and games.
- Space for birthday parties and expanded space for day camp.
- A walking track providing Y members of all ages wellness year round.
- A bouldering wall for skill development and climbing exploration in a safe but adventurous setting.
- A lounge where youth can play interactive games and adults can connect with each other, have coffee or play games.
“We’re really excited about the opportunity to provide this type of space for the community,” says President and CEO Jay Buckmaster. “Our goal is to help families, youth and adults come together in a safe, positive environment and stay active and engaged, even through the harsh winter months in Northern Michigan.”
This is not a solution to phase II, but rather a bridge as the Y continues to engage in feasibility and planning.
As one of the area’s largest nonprofits, the YMCA is always striving to meet the needs of the community and contribute as a key partner in the Grand Traverse region.
ABOUT THE Y
With five locations—West, Central, South, Y of Northern Michigan and a Child Development Center—the Grand Traverse Bay YMCA offers a diverse range of health, fitness and physical facilities for the five-county region focusing on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Y’s Vision 2020 details what the Y hopes to bring to fruition for the Grand Traverse community by the year 2020.