The Shape Up North Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program is designed to help patients with chronic disease create new healthy habits that align with the Dietary Guidelines. A healthy eating pattern that includes fresh fruits and vegetables is an evidence based way to improve health and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
Through our partnering clinics, participants who have chronic disease are referred to our program where they will receive structured nutrition education classes, cooking demonstrations and tastings at our local Farmers Market. After receiving their nutrition education, participants receive market coupons to redeem for fresh fruits, vegetables and seedlings. The goal of the program is to provide the tools patients need to create healthier eating patterns.
The Fruit and Vegetable Program also provides valuable linkages between farmers, health care providers and the community.
For more information on participating clinics and markets please see below.
In order to qualify, participants must be referred by the following clinics and non profits:
Adults in Grand Traverse County
Adults in Benzie County
- Benzie Area Christina Neighbors (BACN)
- Benzie Senior Resources
- Crystal Lake Clinic (Benzonia and Frankfort)
- Paul Oliver Memorial Hospital
Cooking demonstrations and education is provided in partnership with Michigan State University Extension. The education is intended to help with selecting and preparing healthy foods purchased at the farmers market.
While the tokens are only for those referred into the program, the cooking demonstrations and education are free and open to the public. If you are interested in attending any of these sessions, our Summer 2019 schedule is listed below:
- The Village at Grand Traverse Commons Farmers’ Market: Mondays, June 3rd – October 7th. Classes start at 4pm or 5pm.
- Sara Hardy Downtown Farmers’ Market: Wednesdays, June 5th-October 9th. Drop by education from 10am-12pm
- Grow Benzie Farmers’ Market: Mondays, June 3rd – August 26th. Classes start at 4pm or 5pm.
For more information email us at MMC-FruitVeggieRx@mhc.net