FitKids360 is a free healthy lifestyle program with the ultimate goal of fighting childhood obesity. The program was developed in 2010 by a team of pediatricians, social workers, dieticians and exercise specialists out of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Together they designed a comprehensive program that combines basic education about nutrition, behavior and exercise with a wide range of physical activities. FitKids360 has delivered such positive outcomes they are now working to expand the program to help children throughout the state of Michigan.
Fitkids360 provides an effective solution for health care providers seeking a way to assist struggling families who are unable to make changes on their own. By focusing on the physical, behavioral and nutritional aspects of healthy living, the program can help kids and their families enjoy longer, healthier lives. Through a partnership with the United Way of Northwest Michigan, Health Net of West Michigan and the Grand Traverse Bay YMCA we continue to offer classes in Traverse City hosted by the YMCA. FitKids also expanded into Wexford county through a partnership with their local YMCA and we are exploring more classes in both Benzie and Kalkaska counties. More details will be posted as they become available.
To learn more about FitKids watch our video below.
What are the requirements to take part in the program?
- Children ages 5 to 17 are eligible
- BMI at or above the 85th percentile
- Must receive a referral from their local pediatrician
- Parent or guardian must accompany child to each class
- Siblings of participants may attend without a referral
What does each FitKids360 class include?
- Each class can include up to 20 participants and their families.
- Expert help from local professionals including social workers, dieticians, exercise specialist and fitness instructors.
- Orientation + 6-week program that meets once a week for 2 hours
- Goal setting with guidance of trained community volunteers
- 30+ minutes of exercise built into each class, including games, Zumba, yoga, etc.
- Healthy snacks after each week’s activities
- Weekly incentives that encourage a healthy lifestyle
For more information on classes and locations please contact us at MMC-Community-Health-Staff@mhc.net
Available thanks to the generosity