White Beans with Wilted Kale and Savoy Cabbage
Course: Salad, Side Dish
Calories: 167 kcal
- 1 cup canned cannellini navy beans, or gigantes
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 bunch cavolo nero black kale, the leaves stripped from the stems and slivered
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 small Savoy or Napa cabbage quartered, cored, and chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves minced or pounded with a pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra to finish
Chop all the vegetables. Rinse the leeks, kale, and cabbage, but don’t dry them.
Warm 2 TBSP of the oil in a heavy wide skillet. Add the onion and leeks and cook over medium-low heat until the onion is soft but not browned, about 12 minutes. Add the kale, cabbage, garlic, parsley, and 2 tsp salt. Cook with the heat on low and the pan covered until the vegetables are soft and the volume greatly reduced, about 30 minutes.
Add the beans, along with juice in can. Simmer until the greens are completely tender. Taste for salt and season with pepper.
Calories 167, Total Fat 4 g, Sat. Fat 1 g, Sodium 237 mg, Tot. Carb. 27 g, Protein 7 g, Sugar 5 g