Ethiopian Lentil Stew
Course: Main Course
Calories: 447 kcal
- 1 cup Lentils soaked in cold water for 2 hours and drained
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion minced
- 2 medium Carrots diced (or sweet potato, diced)
- 2 cups Greens such as Kale, Swiss Chard, etc.
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3 Tomatoes roughly chopped, or one 15-ounce can tomatoes, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 teaspoons Berbere* or chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tsp whole Fenugreek seeds ground in coffee grinder
- ½ cup ground dried serrano chilies or other ground dried chilies
- ½ cup Paprika
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons ground Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Cardamom preferably freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
Mix all ingredients together and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Steam the large beets until tender-firm when pierced with a knife, about 35 minutes. Steam the little beets until tender-firm, about 20 minutes. Chill both.
Cut onions into a small dice. If desired, sauté the onions until slightly browned. Reserve and chill.
Using 5 or 6 neat strokes of the knife, peel and trim the red beets. Cut them into 1/2” chunks. Slip off the skins of the smaller beets with your hands. Leave the smallest ones whole. Quarter or halve the rest.
Combine the beets, peas, onion and dill in a large bowl.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the beet salad.
Let chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
Gently fold in arugula leaves, pea shoots or late fall vegetables immediately before serving. Season to taste.
Calories 447, Total Fat 28 g, Sat. Fat 4 g, Sodium 604 mg, Tot. Carb. 38 g, Protein 15 g, Sugar 7 g