Russian Beet Salad
Course: Salad, Side Dish
Calories: 195 kcal
- 2 large red beets
- 20 small chioggia or golden beets
- 2 small onions red
- 8 oz. peas thawed from frozen or fresh
- 1 tablespoon dill fresh, chopped
- Handful arugula leaves, pea shoots or late fall vegetables, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Steam the large beets until tender-firm when pierced with a knife, about 35 minutes. Steam the little beets until tender-firm, about 20 minutes. Chill both.
Cut onions into a small dice. If desired, sauté the onions until slightly browned. Reserve and chill.
Using 5 or 6 neat strokes of the knife, peel and trim the red beets. Cut them into 1/2” chunks. Slip off the skins of the smaller beets with your hands. Leave the smallest ones whole. Quarter or halve the rest.
Combine the beets, peas, onion and dill in a large bowl.
Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the beet salad.
Let chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
Gently fold in arugula leaves, pea shoots or late fall vegetables immediately before serving. Season to taste.
Calories 195, Total Fat 11 g, Sat. Fat 2 g, Sodium 813 mg, Tot. Carb. 21 g, Protein 5 g, Sugar 11 g